~sit a spell and enjoy the view~  

More Family Stuff ~ This page will have family information that I will add as I go through my files and sort things out.  I'll try to keep the photos on the first two pages.  Check back for updates.  ~*~ Chris

William Henry Harrison

Robert Hatton Harrison

Judith M. Staton

John Hatton Harrison

Wilburn H. Williams

Sarah Jane Williams

Louisa Bray


George Williams Haines

John James Haines

Leva Benoni White

Ethel May Haines

Stephen S. Rees

Lulu May Rees

Mary Jane Huffman

Our HARRISON lines ~~~~

In the 1850 census of Dallas County, MO. Louisa Bray was 18 years old.  Her name is spelled Luiza and her father’s name is spelled Heril instead of Harold.

Louisa’s mother was Nancy Crawford Bray.  Hearing about the discovery of gold in California, the Rev. Heril Bray left his wife and family to heed the call of vast riches in the west.  Nancy and the children remained in Missouri until 1853, and then she decided to take them to be with Heril in California.  She did not have oxen to pull her wagon, but this did not stop her.  She hooked up 16 cows in two teams all shod in leather boots and joined the wagon train. The cows furnished milk along the way and she was able to sell them once she arrived in California.  She probably made more money on the cows than Heril made in the goldfields.

At the beginning of WWII, Bob Harrison, son of Twisty and Sally Harrison, was a defense worker on Wake Island. In one of the first events of the war in 1941, Wake Island was invaded by the Japanese.  Bob was captured and held prisoner in the Fukuoka prison camp. Sally and Twisty didn’t hear from him until they received a postcard in March 1945.  The card was dated July 1944. Bob had already been added to the list of draft evaders by the selective service office. His brother, Ray, had been missing in action after his ship was torpedoed near Midway Island..  At about the same time, brother Steve, who was in the army, was a prisoner of war in Germany. All three men, including their brother, Ralph, who was in the Army, made it home safely after the war. . .

On April 11, 1847, Wilburn H. Williams became a private in Captain Jones’ Company B of Gilpin’s Battalion Missouri Mounted Volunteers for the Mexican War. The unit was formed to protect travel and trade along the Santa Fe Trail. Wilburn carried his muzzle loading rifle in the war, and to the California gold rush. He called the breech loading gun "old meat on the table” because as sure as he shot it, there was meat on the table. Probably due to his experience in the war, Wilburn became the doctor for the wagon train. When they reached Nevada, his wife, Louisa Bray Williams, gave birth to their first child, Rhunmah. In Santa Rosa, he set up medical practice with Dr. John Franklin Boyce. They were said to be the first doctors “to remove cancer by knife” in Sonoma County. Wilburn had long whiskers and was six foot two. He made his medical visits in a white ruffled shirt, long black coat, and tall silk hat. He rode a small pony with his medicine bottles rattling on one side and his medical instruments jingling on the other. Rhunmah and her husband Michael Gott celebrated their golden wedding anniversary in 1919. Wilburn is listed in the 1885 Register of Physicians and Surgeons in the State of California under “Illegal Practitioners.” 
Our HAINES Lines ~~~~

Lulu Rees was married to John James Haines. Mark Hammond, a good friend of John's, was married to Emma Haines (John's sister) and took care of John when he was ill. According to family, Emma was "a bit crazy" and after John died, Mark divorced Emma and married Lulu. 

The families were outraged about this. I wonder if this is why Lulu's name is spelled "Lula" on her headstone. [The clipping is from the Nevada State Journal, Reno, Nevada, Sunday, August 25, 1935, page 6.]

Jonathan White was born in Virginia in the late 1700’s,  married Catherine Meade and they had 8 children. He owned a plantation on which they raised race horses. Unfortunately, Jonathan lost the plantation and so became an iron forger. A short time later, he was killed while working. Catherine and the older children went to work in the tobacco fields, but made barely enough money to feed the family. Around 1834, her son, William, who was about 17, walked to Indiana with his brothers. A few years later they went on to Wisconsin. Catherine and the younger children moved from Virginia to Wisconsin with all their belongings in a horse drawn wagon. In 1846 William White (great-grandfather of Ethel May and Chester Haines) married Mary Elizabeth Graham and moved to California.

In 1885 violence erupted in Christian Valley leaving one of Auburn’s citizens near death. Almost a dozen people witnessed the shooting of George W. Haines and they had almost that many versions of the story. Andrew Brokaw and Haines, were friends who let their tempers get out of hand on the porch of the schoolhouse that election day. Haines, the election board clerk, was accused by Brokaw of saying he was in favor of moving the school to a new location. An argument erupted and Haines shouted, “If you don’t shut up, I’ll mash you!” Haines swung at Brokaw who pulled a pistol out of his pocket. Brokaw had been fishing earlier in the day and said he forgot to leave the pistol at home. He shot Haines in the thigh and the chest barely missing his heart. After the shooting, with one bullet lodged near his spine, Haines walked to a friend’s house. Brokaw said he feared for his life and the case was later dismissed. Haines, a community leader, was a tough Civil War veteran who had been present at the surrender of General Lee to General Grant. He moved to Wheatland in 1921. 
Website Builder